Samstag, April 22, 2006

Read and SMILE:)



This Story was actually forwarded to me by a Friend. First thing i did after finishing this story was to smile. Read it and lemme know what you guys think.

My First Date by: PRASUN ROY

I still remember the first date I ever went on in my life. Usually
first dates are memorable to everyone but for me it was
something that I can never forget. I went out for my first date with my
high school crush when I was in class eleven. It
was a day that I planned for weeks and finally she, Rachna, agreed to
come out with me, Prasun Roy! In school who was
famous for being a person with a cool attitude with no constraints from
the family end, whose parents were more of buddies
than dominating guardians! However the fact remained that I too was
from a middle class family with core values and
principles like all others.

Back home I lied to my parents that I was going out for a school
excursion and managed to get the approval of my parents
and finally the day arrived.

After a short lunch at a funky restaurant, Rachna and I went hand in
hand for a movie. As the evening was drawing to a
close we were roaming in the streets of "New Market" talking to each
other, about each other. Life suddenly seemed so
beautiful.

All of a sudden, out of the forgotten multitude that was also walking
in the same street, I could see a familiar face
quite distinct- why I didn't know. As realization embraced my
consciousness, I comprehended that the face of the person
approaching me from the other side was of none other than but my
FATHER!

Within a fraction of a second all romanticism vanished from my heart
and a fear engrossed it instead. I could interpret in
that short time the amount of humility and shame I would face suddenly
as my father would recognize me, scold me after we
meet, and that was inevitable! Apart from the scorn that I would face
at home, I could also feel the embarrassment I would
face in front of Rachna, who recognized as the cool guy ... in school
as well as back home!

Crippled with the fear I only prayed that the earth would open up and I
would hide there from all the humility. However
there seemed no practical escape from it. Then some thing happened.

My father came near me, along with the now not-so-forgotten multitude,
looked into my eyes as a stranger and passed by me
rubbing his shoulder against mine and passed by without even
recognizing me. It was the biggest shock and relief of my
life. I still don't know which emotion was predominant at that moment.

After sometime, Rachna went away to her home oblivious of the fact what
ever I just revealed, and I came back to mine.

At home that night, life seemed to me like a prison. I went for dinner
with a fearful heart and a lost appetite. To my
surprise, everything was so very normal. My mother served dinner and we
all ate the usual way. This made my life more
miserable. I quickly finished my food and went back to my room.
Questions crowded my mind and I couldn't figure out what
might have happened after my father came back home and revealed about
my forged romantic rendezvous. Why everything was
still so normal pained my mind even more!

Presently my father calmly came into my room and sat beside me. I
looked into his eyes with fear in mine but discovered a
smooth comfort in his! He soothingly asked, "So Sunny Boy, how was your
date, I must say she was a pretty and sweet lady!"

Like somewhat mesmerized I revealed everything to him about my first
date and added, "Dad, it was simply out of this world,
but the day passed away life a few minutes only!"

He smiled and said, "You know what, Albert Einstein once said ... Put
your hand on a hot oven for a minute and it would
seem like and hour; put your hand upon those of a pretty lady for an
hour and it would seem like a minute! Now that's
relativity. Its all relative, the fact is how much you cherish what you
gained ... RIGHT! This is the biggest lesson of
life my son"

I had never seen my father being like this before; he was more of a
buddy than my guardian actually. I could feel within
me that I would never ever be able to hide anything else from him, he
actually understood me much more than my own self.

We talked for an hour and I would remember those words forever perhaps!
I couldn't interpret whether it was my First Date
with my dream girl or the First Date of knowing my father actually.
However I knew that I realized how much I loved and
respected my father after that. Just as he was leaving my room I called
him and said "Thank You daddy! Thank you so much!"

Both of us knew what I was thankful for and required no mentioning. He
turned towards me with his dreamy eyes and said
these words...

"Hey son, how could I ever let you down my child, never! I would just
say, whatever happens in life and whomever you love
in your life and to whatever degree, you only remember one thing that
your Daddy has loved you 18 years more than that. 18
years more than that dear!"

He switched off the light and went to his room. In the mild blue and
gray of the moonlight ushering into my room through
the window I too could feel one thing ... Yes, its truly 18 more years
of Love, I, or any child, can never ever cover up!
It was in fact my First Date, the first one of actually realizing the
Love I had taken for granted for all those Eighteen
Years perhaps! It truly was so...:)

1 Kommentar:

KayGee hat gesagt…

absolutely amazing, especially given the fact that this guy is a Bengali and got caught in the New Market area :) Its wonderful to have such a healthy relationship with your parents where there is no scope for any sort of generation gap .... and issues are dealt with rather than suppressed and allowed to fade with time..... i previously had the notion that htis phenomenon was prevalent in up-and-about cities like Delhi, Bangalore, Bomaby etc. but Calcutta - truly amazing :D

Ciao